A healthy chai tea latte is the best beverage for any occasion. The blend of chai spices and tea comes together to create a delicious, tasty drink.
However, many chai tea lattes are packed with sugar and other ingredients that you may not know about.
If you’re looking for a healthy chai tea latte with fewer calories and less sugar, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we show you how to make a healthy chai tea latte. You’ll also find out what ingredients can be substituted for healthier ones.
What This Article Covers:
Is Chai Tea Latte Healthy
Chai tea has many health benefits. Some of these benefits are:
- Chai tea helps with digestion and promotes healthy bowel function.
- Chai tea contains cinnamon and ginger. These calm the stomach. Spices such as cardamom and allspice have properties that help with bloating.
- Chai tea has almost half as much caffeine as a regular cup of coffee.
- Black tea is the base of most chai tea. Black tea is rich in antioxidants. This means that it supports heart health.
As you can see, chai tea is a healthy choice of beverage. Not only does it taste great, but it may help with your health too.
Do Chai Lattes Have Sugar
The amount of sugar in your chai tea latte depends entirely on how it’s made.
The chai tea lattes that you get in coffee shops usually contain lots of sugar. Some chai lattes contain up to 25 teaspoons of sugar in a single serving.
Many coffee shops use chai powder mixes. You can also purchase these from certain stores. Unfortunately, these powder mixes are packed with sugar. In these cases, a small chai latte can contain as much as 20 grams of sugar. This is equivalent to 4 teaspoons of sugar.
Many coffee shops also offer syrups that can go into the chai latte. This increases the sugar content even more.
To avoid sugar-packed chai lattes, find out which ingredients are in the chai latte that you’re ordering, and how it’s made. If the chai latte is in powder form then it most likely contains a large amount of sugar.
Healthy Chai Latte
In these recipes below, we show you how to make a low-calorie and healthy chai tea latte.
Low Sugar Chai Tea Latte
You can make a low-sugar chai tea latte by replacing some of the ingredients with ones that are lower in sugar.
Ditch the powdered chai latte for a homemade one instead. When you make your chai tea latte at home, you can control what goes into it.
Honey is a popular addition to chai tea lattes. This is because it’s a more healthy sugar substitute. Honey has many health benefits. These include benefits for your brain, being high in antioxidants, and helping digestive issues.
Honey also compliments the chai tea flavors and adds that touch of natural sweetness.
If you aren’t a fan of honey, then another healthy alternative is maple syrup. Finding an organic maple syrup is a healthy option that reduces the amount of refined sugar in your chai tea latte.
Chai Latte Low Calorie
A normal chai latte is usually around 250 calories. This is quite a lot, especially if you’re having more than one a day.
Luckily, though, you can make your own low-calorie chai latte in the comfort of your home.
You can swap out some of the traditional chai latte ingredients for lower-calorie ones. This cuts the number of calories drastically. There are many low-calorie latte recipes you can try.
The two ingredients with the highest amount of calories in them are sugar and milk. Fortunately, though, these are two ingredients that can be easily substituted for lower calorie options.
Normal full-fat cow's milk contains approximately 150 calories per cup. A low-calorie substitute for this is unsweetened almond milk which contains only 40 calories per cup.
Sugar is bad for you and contains unwanted calories. The lowest calorie sugar replacement is artificial sweeteners.
Natural sweeteners such as xylitol or stevia are a great low-calorie alternative.
Below is a quick and easy low-calorie chai tea latte recipe.
- 2 Chai tea bags
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened vanilla almond milk to make a healthy vanilla latte)
- 2 teaspoons natural sweetener
- Soak the chai tea bags in the water according to the instructions.
- Heat the milk and sweetener in a small saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Once the mixture is heated, whisk briskly and continuously to create foam.
- Remove from the heat, stir the milk into the tea, and enjoy.
How to Make Healthy Chai Tea Latte
This healthy chai tea latte contains ingredients that are good for your body and taste delicious. Prepare the ingredients and follow the method below to make a healthy chai tea latte.
Prepare the following ingredients before you start making this chai tea latte at home.
Milk- We recommend using whatever type of milk that you prefer. Non-dairy milk is great if you’re lactose intolerant or vegan. Almond milk and oat milk are 2 of our favorites.
Black tea or chai tea bags- Whichever flavor you prefer, either of these tea bags will work.
Chai tea brands have different flavors. Make sure the brand that you use is one with a flavor that you like.
Chai spice– Chai spice blend adds even more delicious flavors to your chai tea latte. See below for chai spices.
Maple syrup or honey– Maple syrup and honey are healthy alternatives to sugar. Use whichever one you prefer.
Espresso (optional)– A chai tea latte with espresso is called a dirty chai latte. These are popular in coffee shops because you get to combine the taste of coffee and chai. To make a perfect dirty chai, you can buy different flavored coffee beans. This adds even more flavor to your beverage.
If you want to try different types of coffee instead, there are many healthy coffee recipes you can try too.
Chai Tea Spices
The base of chai tea is usually black tea. These spices include:
Instead of using a premade chai tea powder, this recipe shows you how to make your own. You can make this by using black tea and chai spices.
- Mix the chai spices. Choose which chai spices you want to use and mix them with the black tea. In this recipe, we use all of the spices mentioned above. You can also choose any type of black tea that you prefer.
- Heat and remove from heat. Now, place almond milk, tea bags, maple syrup, and chai spices into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat. Let the mixture steep for at least 3 minutes or more depending on how strong you want it.
- Strain the mixture. Remove the tea bags and pour the whole mixture through a fine sieve into a mug. This prevents the sediment at the bottom of the pot from going into the mug.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Now that you know how to make a healthy chai tea latte, it’ll become one of your daily routines.
All you need is to substitute ingredients such as milk and sugar, for healthier options that you prefer.
By avoiding coffee shop lattes that usually come in powder form, you can drastically cut down on your sugar intake. Knowing which ingredients contain sugar and which ones are healthy is important.
Once you know which ingredients are the healthiest to use, you can easily make your own healthy chai tea latte at home.
Did you find our blog helpful? Then consider checking:
- Healthiest Coffee Type
- Healthy Whipped Coffee
- Healthy Instant Coffee
- Healthy Cold Brew Coffee
- Healthy Blended Coffee Recipe
- Is Black Coffee Unhealthy
- Healthy Caramel Iced Coffee
- How Much Coffee Is Healthy
- Healthy Iced Matcha Latte Recipe
- Healthiest Iced Coffee
- Best Low Acid Coffee
- What Is Low Acid Coffee
- Best Organic Coffee
- Organic Iced Coffee
- What Is Organic Coffee